FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30th
The BIA Board and Advocacy and Education subcommittee have chosen to observe September 30th as one to learn more about our collective history, support the Indigenous community here and across Turtle Island, that we call Canada, and take time for reflection.
As such we will be closing our offices on this day and all staff will have the day off for reflection and learning.
- We have an opportunity to consider what we might choose for this day; individually and collectively.
- How do you intend to honour National Truth and Reconciliation Day this Friday, September 30th? We have suggestions.
- Participate in events in our area and the region
- Spend the day in reflection and conversation with friends and family
- Visit the Medicine Wheel Garden planted by Todd Torresan of the Haudenosaunee of the Oneida Nation alongside others at the Falstaff Family Centre
- Wear Orange T-shirts in support of the day (purchased from and made by Indigenous artists and businesses)
- Consider donating to an Indigenous organization locally or across Turtle Island
- Read the 94 Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Purchase a book by an Indigenous writer from one of our local bookstores, our local library, or an Indigenous-owned business online
May we grow as a learning city, acknowledging that the path to reconciliation and anti-racism is ongoing and requires the commitment and best of us all.
NOTE – If you missed our orange t-shirt group buy for BIA members (image below!), you can purchase on your own directly from Resist Clothing at: https://resistclothing.ca/collections/orange-shirt-day.